Camlin Technologies is looking for R&D Algorithms Engineers to expand its market-leading design team at its Lisburn head office. Responsible for design, development and testing key algorithms central to the functionality of a wide variety of devices and systems, mainly for the electric power industry. The role includes working closely with software, electrical and mechanical engineers, as wells as physicists, mathematicians and customer representatives to create innovative solutions to complex problems. Camlin has a strong product range with a proven track record in the global market but remains focused on innovation and new technologies.
The employee will:
• Design, develop, document and test robust, efficient and novel algorithms to meet project requirements, consulting appropriate literature when required.
• Maintain, trouble-shoot and enhance these algorithms throughout the project life cycle, from initial concepts and modelling through to improvements based on real-world data.
• Communicate methodologies clearly to the teams responsible for their implementation.
• Manage time and priorities across projects, notify stakeholders of progress against plans and adapt readily to dynamic business priorities
• Design and undertake comprehensive bench and field testing of products under development.
• PhD or similar experience in Mathematics, Physics, Electrical & Electronic Engineering or equivalent numerate discipline.
• Strong and proven numerical analysis skills, engineering mathematics and statistics.
• A good understanding of the principles of software development.
• Experience programming in Matlab, Python or equivalent.
• Proven ability to solve complex problems using creative solutions.
Candidates are expected to have one or more of the following:
• At least 2 years’ industry experience.
• IT skills
o Practical experience of version management tools such as Git, SVN or equivalent.
Working knowledge of C or C++.
- Experience in the use of SQL to create and interrogate databases.
• Strong skills in electric circuit theory and knowledge of principles of electromagnetism.
• Experience utilising Machine Learning or AI algorithms.
• Experience of Digital Signal Processing, including:
o Time and frequency domain representation of signals
o Filter design
o working knowledge and limitations of real-time embedded systems.
• Electric Power Distribution and Power System Protection.
- Thorough knowledge of EPD infrastructure, common operating practices and the control principles underlying them, for both L.V. and H.V. distribution.
- Knowledge of U.K, European, American and Asian systems.
- A knowledge of embedded generation, including the characteristic behaviour particularly of wind and PV, would also be an advantage.
- Knowledge of transmission line behaviour.
- Extensive experience in the use of EMTP or similar Power System Modelling packages.
• Conscientious individual demonstrating attention to detail along with high levels of ownership and commitment.
• To have the ability to work alone, in close collaboration with one or two others, or as part of a larger multi-disciplinary team.
• Ability to generate their own novel solutions or to use, adapt and give credit to others’ solutions when appropriate.
• Motivation to create high quality products and systems within demanding time-scales.
• Demonstrate self-motivation to develop new skills and improve own working practices based on constructive feedback from peers.
• Excellent verbal, written and graphical communication skills.
• A genuine passion for algorithm development, science and engineering.